Concrete is an essential element in the construction of residential and commercial buildings. It can be used in many areas including patios, driveways, sidewalks, roads, and parking lots. It is highly durable and can last for several years. Although concrete offers a lot of benefits, its durability reduces over time. Extreme weather conditions and irregular maintenance can greatly affect the condition of the concrete. Fortunately, according to AAA Concreting, there are simply ways to keep the concrete in good state.
One of the common issues in many concretes is cracking. Cracks can typically be noticed on the surface of the concrete but they may also occur internally. There is nothing to be alarmed of there are visible cracks outside of the control joints. Concrete naturally shrinks over a period of time and such process can cause minor cracking. The concrete is still considered to be in good condition in such instances.
It is very easy to manage concrete works. Nevertheless, you may experience issues if it was not worked properly. Some common concrete issues are shrinkage, scaling, and discolorations.
The following are few more examples of concrete problems:
- Discoloration – The colour of the concrete is usually determined by the colour of the mixing materials used for its mixture. Discoloration happens if there are elements in the mixture that were altered. It could also be caused by poor workmanship. Incorrect calculations of water mixture may cause the concrete to change in colour and quality.
- Cracking – Concrete cracks quite easily if not mixed with the right materials. It can even result to shrinkage that may no longer be controlled in the long run. Cracking can be caused by various factors, including incorrect mixtures, contraction, subgrade settlement, and overweight loads. The application of the concrete in walls should be measured carefully to avoid minor cracking.
- Scaling – Scaling is also another common concrete problem. It typically happens when the surface of the concrete breaks off to 2 inches or more. Inadequate concrete strength is the only known cause for this kind of problem. A reliable curing procedure should be utilized to avoid scaling for long periods of time.
- Crazing – Another recurring problem in concrete is crazing. If there are visible interconnected fine cracks in the outer layer of the concrete, crazing occurs. Cracks typically occur when the slab is moist. The strength of the concrete may not be affected by this at first but after a period of time, crazing might be the cause of damaged concrete.
- Curling – Curling happens when there is too much shrinkage beneath the concrete once it hardens. The temperature and moisture in the air are the causes of such instances. Concrete should normally be applied during warm weather.
You should not be too worried if some of these problems are also very evident on your concrete. It would be highly recommended for you to seek for professional assistance from concrete contractors. There should be a reliable concrete contractor in your area. Read more.
With regards to the maintenance of the concrete, you can actually do it on your own. It can help you prevent things from becoming worse by applying simple methods of repair. It could also save you money in the long run.
There are quick and convenient ways to repair concrete cracks without the assistance of professionals. You can purchase concrete products in your local area. You can experiment in your attempt but always make sure to read the product label before using.
It is still highly advisable to start investing in quality concrete products. Once a concrete is created with quality materials, issues can be avoided.