Museum of Fine Arts Houston
The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston was opened for the first time in 1924. It is one of America’s most important and well-respected art museums. The museum is divided into many different locations and facilities, but the main galleries are located in Houston’s Museum District. 2 decorative arts house museums, 2 schools, a sculpture garden, visitor centre, cafe, and a movie theatre are all part of the museum. It has more than 62,000 pieces of permanent art, representing 6,000 years of art history. On the museum’s website, you can view a selection of these works.
Although the Museum of Fine Arts was established in 1917, the museum opened its first doors in 1924. The museum received its first collection of oil paintings from America and Europe just prior to opening. They continued to receive gifts of all types of art from Houston families throughout the 1930s and 40s, including prints and drawings, as well as antiquities and antiquities. The museum’s brilliant International Style architect Mies Van der Rohe (1886-1969), designed the Cullinan hall (1958) as well as the Brown Pavilion (1974). The museum nearly doubled its collection between 1970 and 1989 thanks to corporate donations and personal endowments. Audrey and John Beck donated 50 Impressionism and Post-Impressionism paintings to the museum in 1974. Highlights include Impressionist paintings of Gustave Caillebotte (1848-1994), Edgar Manet (1832-83), Andre Derain (1980-1954), Camille Pissarro (1730-1903), Georges Seurat (1859-1991), Henri Matisse (1869-1954), Pierre Bonnard (1867-1947). The museum is still thriving today and over a million people benefit from their workshops and exhibitions every year.
Main Exhibition Area
Two buildings house the main exhibition space of MFAH, which hosts both permanent and temporary shows: The Caroline Wiess Law Building and Audrey Jones Beck Building. Although the original construction of the Law building was in 1924, it has seen significant expansions over time. The building houses many exhibits, including Asian, Oceanic and Tribal, African, Tribal, Tribal, Tribal, Tribal, and mesoamerican Pre-Columbian, as well art from the 20th century and 21st. The Glassell Collection of African Gold, which contains a rare Java burial mask, is particularly noteworthy. Rafael Moneo was the architect of the Beck building, which was inaugurated in 2000.
Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens
Ima Hogg, a life trustee of the museum donated her garden and home to the MFAH as a gift in 1957. It was designed by John F Staub, an architect. It houses one of the most important collections of American decorative art and furniture. In 1962, the contents of paintings and furniture, as well as glass objects, metals, ceramics, metals and textiles, were donated to the museum. The house is situated on 14 acres of woodland and formal garden and is approximately 8 km (5 mi) from the Beck and Law buildings. American art is on display. It includes works by John Singleton Copley (1738-1815), Gilbert Stuart 1755-1828, and portraitists Charles Willson Peale (1741-1827), and Thomas Sully (1783-1872). Ceramics can range from early slipware to popular Tucker porcelain of the 19th century.