Household contaminants can come from a variety of different places – from the air we breathe to the water we drink. They can also be brought in on our shoes and clothes, or through contact with pets. No matter where they come from, it’s important to take steps to remove them from our homes to protect our health. Here are some pro tips on how to remove contaminants from your household.
Decontaminating Your Water
One of the best ways to remove contaminants from your household is to decontaminate your water. This can be done by using a water filter or purifier. There are a variety of different types of water filters and purifiers on the market, so it’s important to do your research to find one that will best suit your needs. If you want to make your necessary beverage healthier, you can look into water treatment 101. You can also decontaminate your water by boiling it for at least three minutes. This is an effective way to kill bacteria and other contaminants. Another option is to use bottled water for drinking and cooking. Just be sure to check the labels to make sure the water is purified or distilled. However, bottled water can be a hassle to buy all the time and can be quite expensive.
Cleaning Your Home
Cleaning your home regularly is another great way to remove contaminants. This includes vacuuming, dusting, and mopping regularly. It’s also important to clean your windows and doors to prevent contaminants from coming into your home. You can use a variety of different cleaning products to clean your home, but be sure to choose ones that are non-toxic and safe for the environment. Additionally, you can clean your home with natural products like vinegar and baking soda. These are great for cleaning surfaces like countertops, floors, and toilets.
Improving Your Air Quality
Another way to remove contaminants from your household is to improve your air quality. This can be done by opening windows and doors regularly to let fresh air in. You can also use air purifiers and humidifiers to help remove contaminants from the air. Additionally, you can use plants to help purify the air in your home. Some of the best plants for purifying the air include aloe vera, spider plants, and Boston ferns.
- Aloe Vera Plant Benefits: Aloe vera plants are great for removing formaldehyde and benzene from the air. They are also easy to care for and can be placed in a variety of different places in your home.
- Spider Plant Benefits: Spider plants are great for removing carbon monoxide and xylene from the air. They are also easy to care for and can be placed in a variety of different places in your home.
- Boston Fern Benefits: Boston ferns are great for removing formaldehyde and xylene from the air. They prefer humid conditions, so they should be placed in a bathroom or kitchen.
Most Common Contaminants in Households
Now that you know how to remove them, here is why you need to remove them. There are a variety of different contaminants that can be found in households. Some of the most common include:
- VOCs: VOCs are volatile organic compounds that can be found in a variety of different products, including paints, cleaners, and adhesives.
- Formaldehyde: Formaldehyde is a chemical that is used in a variety of different products, including insulation, particleboard, and pressed wood. It can cause a variety of different health problems, including watery eyes, burning sensations in the eyes and throat, and difficulty breathing.
- Benzene: Benzene is a chemical that is found in tobacco smoke, gasoline, and some cleaning products.
- Xylene: Xylene is a chemical that is found in gasoline, paint thinners, and some glues. It can also cause irritation to the eyes, nose, and throat, dizziness, and confusion.
Contaminants in Household Dust
Household dust can contain a variety of different contaminants, including lead, pesticides, and VOCs. Dust can be a health hazard, so it’s important to keep it under control. Some ways to do this include vacuuming regularly with a HEPA filter vacuum cleaner and dusting with a damp cloth. Additionally, you can use an air purifier to help remove contaminants from the air. There are a variety of different health problems that can be caused by contaminants in the dust. Some of the most common include Headaches, Dizziness, Eye irritation, Nose and throat irritation, Respiratory problems, Cancer, and Immunodeficiency.
So, there are a variety of different ways to remove contaminants from your household. Be sure to choose safe and non-toxic cleaning products, open windows and doors regularly to let fresh air in, and use air purifiers and humidifiers to help remove contaminants from the air. Additionally, you can use plants to help purify the air in your home. Be sure to stay up-to-date on the most common contaminants in households and how to remove them!