The History of Phoenix, AZ

Phoenix AZ is located along the Salt River in the south-central part of Arizona State. It lies between Los Angeles, CA, and El Paso, TX, about 190 kilometers north of the Mexico border. Nearby cities include Tempe, Scottsdale, and Mesa. This city is not only known as a vital economic Hub, but also as the capital of Arizona.

In the mid-20th century, archeologist Emily W. Huary discovered human remains, animal remains, and stone tools that are believed to have existed about 10, 000 years ago.  This means that the area in which Phoenix lies today was inhabited by man many years ago.

It is believed that the Hohokam people arrived in this area in 300 BC and lived here until 14

00 AD. They engaged themselves in farming, owing to the fact that this land was fertile, and the Salt River provided them with unlimited supply of water. However, the 15th century saw the community collapse for reasons not yet uncovered by researchers. They were later succeeded by the Akimel O’odham, popularly known as Pima.

Around the same time, a group of explorers of the Spanish origin arrived in the area. By 1700, they had set up small forts and missions along the Santa Cruz River. They interacted with the Maricopa Indians and the O’odham tribe since they were close to the northernmost missions.

The Mexican-American War broke out, and several volunteer Mormons entered this area. They traded with local communities with goods for grains and fresh produce. When the war ended, some of the Mormons returned to the area and developed small farms along the Gila and Salt Rivers. It’s also important to note that the Navajo Indian Reservation is one of the most important places in this state. Eventually, they established the cities of Safford, Florence, and Mesa.

These Mormons named this place Pumpkinville. In 1867, and American Civil war Veteran known as Jack Swilling established a grain milling business close to the location where the Sky Harbor International Airport lies. Before his arrival, a man of the European descent known as John Y.T. Smith had planted a lot of grain in the area, and this could be the reason why Jack Swilling established this business. The town was renamed Phoenix by an Englishman and Civic Leader, Darrel Duppa.

 

More settlers came into the area in the 1860s. In 1970, this once silent area was declared a town. By the end of 1972, a school house and the first county building was established. The town grew rapidly and was declared a city in 1881.

More developments were seen at the end of the 19th century and throughout the 20th century.  The city was connected to neighboring cities by various railroads, providing a large market for locally produced goods. Technology improved, and in a few years, this city was declared one of the fastest growing cities in the US.

Though this city faced several drawbacks such as the corruption and Conflict in the mid-20th century, this did not deter it from being the wonderful city we know today. With an overwhelming number of residents being under the age of 45, this is a city that has a great future, not only for the economy of the country, but also for the future generations to come.