When it comes to decorating our homes, most of us want to create a space that’s both stylish and functional. But with so many different decor styles to choose from, it can be tricky to know where to start. That’s why people consult specialists about concrete patios or seek guidance from interior designers. In this article, we’ll discuss some useful tips on how to choose the perfect decor style for your home.
Do Some Online Research
There are blogs and specialist websites galore that can give you some great ideas. Pinterest is also a fantastic resource for inspiration – simply type in ‘home decor’ and see what photos come up. You should also check out Instagram, using hashtags to refine your searches.
Whether it’s for your home or backyard, you can find ideas and products by viewing online stores. You’ll find that the Soothing Company offers a wide selection because people are interested in everything from bean bag chairs to outdoor fireplaces. Whether it’s canvas art, hammocks or water fountains you can often get free shipping and subscribe for discounts.
Consider Your Lifestyle
A great starting point is to sit down and ask yourself some questions. For instance:
- Do you have young children or pets?
- Do you entertain often?
- Do you work from home?
Answering these questions will help you determine which style will best suit your needs. For example, if you have young children and pets, a more traditional style with durability in mind might be the best choice. If you entertain often, a sleek and modern style might be more your speed. And if you work from home, perhaps a cozy and comfortable farmhouse style would be best.
Decide Whether You Prefer Older Styles Of Decor
Think about the homes that you admire most. If you’re more old-fashioned in terms of your personal tastes, consider these:
- Traditional: This style is all about classic design and timeless elegance. Some examples would include furniture with intricate details, like carved wood or tufted upholstery.
- Industrial: This style takes its cues from old warehouses and factories. Think exposed brick walls, metal fixtures, concrete floors and Edison bulbs.
- Victorian: This is a more formal style that often includes luxurious fabrics and dark woods. Some examples include velvet sofas, ornate chandeliers, and gilded mirrors.
- Vintage/Retro: These styles are all about finding old treasures and using them in your home.
Decide Whether You Prefer More Modern Styles Of Decor
If you enjoy more contemporary styles, these might be more up your alley:
- Modern: This style is all about clean lines and simplicity. It’s often made of natural materials like wood or metal, and there’s a focus on function over form.
- Minimalist: This style is all about having less stuff and more space. If you’re a fan of clean lines and uncluttered spaces, this is the right style for you.
- Avant-Garde: This style is all about being unique and ahead of the trends. If you like to be different, check out this kind of decor.
Consider Glamour, Homeliness And Themes
If you want to impress, consider:
- Glam: This style is all about luxury and opulence. Some examples include crystal chandeliers, fur throws, and velvet upholstery.
- Art Deco: This style is also about glamour and luxury. It often includes bold colors and geometric shapes. Some examples include mirrored furniture, sleek lines, and metallics.
If you prefer a homely feel, check out:
- Farmhouse: This style is all about rustic charm and country living.
- Rustic: This style is all about natural materials and a simple way of life. If you like the idea of living off the land, this would be a good fit for you.
Here’s an example theme for you to consider:
- Coastal: This style is all about relaxing by the water, so it’s ideal if you love the beach. Some examples include nautical decor, seashells, and driftwood.
Take Your Time And Don’t Be Afraid To Experiment
There’s no rush when it comes to finding the perfect decor style for your home. Take your time exploring different options and don’t make any hasty decisions. Trying out different styles is the best way to figure out what you like and don’t like. It’s also a great way to get ideas for what might work in your space. You can experiment by shopping at flea markets, thrift stores, or online sites that sell vintage finds.
Don’t be afraid to mix and match different elements to see what looks best. You may be surprised at how well certain pieces go together. Interestingly, the Bohemian and Eclectic styles are all about mixing and matching different colors, patterns, and textures. Also, the Boho style is all about mixing different cultures together. If you like a unique and global look, this could be a great choice.
Speak To Others
When it comes to making big decisions in your home, it’s always best to speak with friends, family, and colleagues who’ve been through the process before. They’ll be able to provide you with first-hand experience and knowledge that you wouldn’t otherwise have access to. See what styles they think would suit your home and take their opinions on board. If anyone you know has had some work done, ask if you can take a look – especially if it’s in a style that you’re considering.
Once you’ve spoken with those close to you, it’s also a good idea to get a second opinion from a professional. This could be someone who works in the industry or even just a friend who’s an expert on the subject. As we said at the beginning, this could be a contractor, professional landscaper or interior designer. They’ll be well-placed to give you the help and advice that you need.
As you can see, there are multitudes of different decor styles from which to choose. Think about your personal tastes and budget, and how to maximize the available space. Then do some further reading and ask people to help you. The end result could be the home of your dreams, thanks to a decor style that’s also practical for your daily life.